How to Install Concrete Pavers
CONCRETE PAVER INSTALLATION
- Excavate and thoroughly compact area to be paved.
- Establish a 90º starting point.
- Install and compact base in 2-4″ layers (1 1/2″ processed gravel or 3/4 crusher run).
- Typically 4-6″ deep for walkways and patios
- Typically 6-8″ deep for pool decks (see your dealer for more information)
- Typically 8-12″ deep for driveways
- Install edge restraints directly on the base and secure with 10″ steel spikes.
- Spread coarse concrete sand and screed to a uniform depth of 1″ thick. Do not use stone dust
- Starting from a 90º corner, place pavers in desired pattern and cut where necessary to fit. Use 2 3/8″ thick pavers for most residential applications and 3 1/8″ thick pavers for commercial vehicles.
- Compact the pavers into the sand bed with a plate compactor or rubber mallet.
- Sweep dry sand into joints and compact. Repeat procedure until the joints are full.
Note: Poor draining soils, such as clay, may require additional excavation and base material and the use of a woven geotextile fabric.